7/30/2008

My view on Karma

Karma according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary is the force generated by a person's actions held in Hinduism and Buddhism to perpetuate transmigration and in its ethical consequences to determine the nature of the person's next existence. In lay men's terms: What you do ... will come back to you. Throughout my life I have heard this phrase and thought; Is it really true? Having asked many people, the usual answer would be: "You cannot expect the person's fall to happen in your time. God [ or another being such as fate] will work in its own time. Every time I heard that answer I cringed. By nature I'm not a vengeful person, but, by the same token I am not a saint. Some part of me thought that something was flawed with the way most of the world thought about karma. In the last couple of months I have been doing some serious self development which caused me to take a serious look at my philosophies on life. While doing some research, I came across and interesting passage. In essence, the passage said that we control our karma not with our actions, but with our thoughts. That's right, think bad thoughts about yourself and your life and it will come to pass ... through you. As I read I realized that for so very long, I've been my worst enemy. I've been feeding myself bad thoughts about my life for ages and wondering why although I do good things , bad things keep happening. While I don't discount the old way, I do believe that our minds have the greatest impact on our karma. If you doubt me try this:

  • Sit down and relax yourself.
  • Think about all the situations you have control over in your life that you would like to change. Positively affirm ( out loud if you wish) that these situations will change for the better.
  • BELIEVE that things will change( This is important. Negative thoughts will only hamper the process).

My Karma has never been better.

No comments: